Monday, December 21, 2009

Never Let Go

Last night I was talking to my dad and through our conversation the Lord revealed something to me about my family.
My parents divorced about 6 years ago after almost 25 years of marriage. I was so devastated and I started to question God, my parents and everything that they had ever taught me. I was so angry at them. They were Christians and Christians don't get divorced! It has taken some time, words of encouragement from friends and a little therapy to get through the heartache that came from this situation. Not that I am over it by any means, but there has been a lot of healing. I have always struggled with the decisions that my parents made and continue to make since the divorce and have had to battle the thought that I am responsible for opening their eyes to what needs to change. This is something that has been even harder to let go of than the unforgiveness. I feel like I need to say something to open their eyes and make them change back to the way I thought they were or to what I think they should be. I feel responsible for their salvation or at least I worry about the way that they live. I know that this way of thinking is wrong, but it's just so hard to let go of. It's not just my parents, either. I have a younger brother that I worry about as well. I don't want to sound like I think I'm holier than them. I don't really think they are all going to hell in a handbasket. I just want them to be like they used to be (or what I thought they were back when I was a kid). I want them to be free in Christ. I want to see the fruit of their spiritual growth. I think most Christians can identify with that - wanting those you love to either come to know Christ for the first time or to know Him more intimately. As believers in community with one another, we see that kind of growth among ourselves and it is so beautiful to watch in other people and to see it happen in your own life as well. Anyway, I kind of felt like my family was out of God's hands in a way and I have really worried about them.
So, back to my conversation with my dad...
My dad and I were talking about this home group that he is in and I was thinking "bla bla bla... whatever" and then it hit me... my dad was surrounded by people that love him, love Jesus and care about his spiritual well being! Then I remembered the last conversation that my mom and I had. She was talking about the new church she and her husband were going to and the women's group she had joined through this church and a woman that had taken an interest in her and always made her feel welcome. My mom was also surrounded by people that love her, love Jesus and care about her spiritual well being. And what about me? I am just as much a sinner as my parents are and look around me! I am surrounded by people who love me, love Jesus and care about my spiritual well being! That's when the David Crowder song came into my head, "Never Let Go". Jesus has never let go of any of us. He has had us in His hands the whole time. I never had a reason to worry about my family because He loves them so much more than I ever could. He has never and will never ever let go of us. Those four words "You never let go" have so much power and joy in them!

1 comment:

  1. Love you. I have never left God - you do not know what led to my leaving your father and it may be best that you do not. God has held me tightly in His arms through it all. Rob is my husband - I just cannot use his last name until the citizenship is final. At church I am Mrs. Collett and personal friends, etc. He is God's gift to me. My only regret is the turmoil my escape has caused you. It hurts my heart more than you know. I love my children so very much. You should trust that I just did not wake up one day and decide to turn everyone's lives upside down. Please do not let yourself be conned into thinking that. Anyway, I am glad that you realize that God has us in His hands .. I just want you to also know that I have always been in His hands - never walked away and never doubted His love. He took me on a journey of healing and He has placed me under the shadow of His wings. I pray for your peace daily. Love you my child - always. Mom

    ReplyDelete